The PAF is responsible for managing financial records; specifically, income and expenses in a day-to-day manner. Other responsibilities include supporting the annual parish stewardship campaign; working closely with the parish treasurer and accountant to address financial matters of the parish; and overseeing financial data and online systems.
The PAF is expected to develop and maintain administrative support activities for accounts receivable items, e.g., donations and deposits, third-party pledge payments, and stock transactions. The PAF also manages insurance premium payments and other bills.
Major Administrative Functions:
- Accounts Receivable (Income): Deposits all funds received; works with parish organization clergy, staff, and volunteer leadership to prepare deposits.
- Records all donations in the database; categorizes and tracks the pledge-related donations so trends may be viewed over specific calendar periods.
- Manages donations of stock and mutual funds by tracking all brokerage accounts (ensures that these donations are redeemed or sold as quickly as possible). Tracks gross and net sale price and provides this information to parish treasurer, bookkeeper, and donor.
- Produces contribution statements and thank you emails and letters in coordination with the parish treasurer.
- Tracks income for various budgets and designated accounts and continually reconciles these accounts; works with the Parish Administrator for Programs and Facilities re: receipt and tracking of income from space-use related accounts.
- Annual Parish Stewardship Campaign: Collects and reports pledges; produces daily and/or weekly pledge listings as needed/requested, and reports database statistics. Responds to parishioner inquiries re: pledges and pledge payments, direct deposits, stock transactions, and payroll deductions.
- Bank Accounts & Related Issues: Manages emergency checking account and debit card associated with the account. Follows Finance Committee policies and rules and advises committee as needed/requested. Tracks checks, debits, and deposits daily so accounts can be effectively reconciled. Maintains appropriate records for convenience of parish treasurer (originals reside with bookkeeper offsite).
- Miscellaneous & Related: Manages with the Assistant Rector “Realm” (membership database) or its equivalent; produces membership reports as requested/required; establishes data entry standards, field use, and data collection processes, coordinating with groups needing data from the membership database.
- Maintain monthly payroll through Paychex, and employee pension and health insurance data through the Church Pension group.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
Knowledge(s), Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of accounts receivable routines and processes
- Technological proficiency across various platforms and programs, including QuickBooks, Bill.com, Paychex.com, Microsoft Office, and Google Workspace.
- Working knowledge of Realm by ACS Technologies, or experience using similar cloud-based church management or customer relationship management software.
- The ability to track and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent customer service skills, and the ability to work well with people at all levels of the congregation (clergy, staff, volunteer leadership, and parishioners).
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Is discrete and able to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to attend to detail (paramount).