Job Opening Number: 22-Finance-UNJSPF OIM-167204-R-New York (O)
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Secretary-General is responsible for the investment of the assets of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The Secretary-General has delegated this responsibility to the Representative of the Secretary-General for the investment of the assets of the UNJSPF (RSG). The RSG heads the Office of Investment Management (OIM), which manages a $86+ billion multi-asset class, global investment portfolio, about 85% of which is actively managed in-house. Asset classes under management comprise of global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, timber, and commodities. OIM’s staff are all based in New York and come from over 30 countries. For more information please visit OIM’s website at https://oim.unjspf.org/ .
This position is in the Operations Section of the Office of Investment Management (OIM) of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Accountant, and under the general guidance of the Chief
of Operations Section.
Within delegated authority, the Accountant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Monitors and reviews/evaluates derivative transactions from instruction receipt through data entry and validation as well as monitoring cash / securities collateral related to margin calls. Identifies problem transactions and irregularities in related transactions, resolving them in a timely and effective manner.
- Approves/Confirms margin calls in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the UNJSPF.
- Reconciles investment transaction between general ledger, custodian sub-system, Bloomberg AIM, market intermediaries and core data sets.
- Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are implemented and functioning and that all relevant records are maintained for derivative, and margin trading transactions.
- Works with front office and risk team to evaluate eligibility for effective hedge accounting treatment and documentation.
- Assists, prepares or consolidates financial statements for inclusion in the UNJSPF IPSAS Financial Statements to be audited. Responds to internal/external audit observations.
- Provides authoritative interpretation of requirements for handling transactions.
- Coordinates and supervises transaction processing of investment transactions.
- Monitors, analyses, reviews and approves transactions for cash payment, entry into the accounting system including SWIFT messages.
- Defines requirements and works with front office, IT and custodian with respect to production of relevant reports and keep management apprised of key developments by preparing special reports.
- Participates in the development of operating policies.
- Provides information needed to respond to audit findings.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or equivalent is desirable. .
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, finance, budget, administration is required.
Minimum 3 years of meaningful industry experience with at least 1 years of hands-on experience in derivative products is required.
Working knowledge of derivative instruments including repos, TBAs, and foreign exchange forwards is required.
Hedge accounting experience is required.
Knowledge of derivatives transaction related agreements such as ISDA and MSFTA is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
For more information on how to apply, please click here.